Thursday, February 11, 2010

hypertext and reality

As I read through Patchwork Girl, I couldn't help but think about the way hypertext (this one in particular) allows readers/users to craft their own reality. Sure, they don't necessarily have the chance to directly alter the narrative, but the means by which they controlled the progression of the non-linear story was intriguing. Essentially, it allowed the readers to piece things together as they pleased, making the story much more interactive than a traditional text narrative. It may have started off as a wholly confusing and disorienting experience, but eventually it developed into one that was deep and rewarding.


Furthermore, as I read the hypertext, I was constantly reminded of Christopher Nolan's film Memento. The connection was drawn in my mind for several reasons. First of all, I've seen the movie more than half a dozen times and find ways to make it relevant in almost any discussion. Additionally, the way the nonlinear narrative of both pieces initially frustrated readers/viewers but progressed to become logical, rewarding, and key to the interpretation of the work caught my attention. Finally, I had already been thinking about how Memento fits in with our prior readings and our screening of the Matrix because of its depiction of the real. Memento's conflict with what is real and what is not stems from human error, memory and desire rather than some computer program or AI. I won't ruin the film for those of you who haven't seen it but I will recommend watching it and thinking about how it fits in with what we've read and watched thus far in class (and just enjoying it as a great movie).

No comments: