Friday, March 7, 2008

greatest in the World

I found myself underlining a lot in Snow Crash. And I had difficulty with some of the other readings this week, so after the beginning presentation during Wednesday’s class, I had an idea of what to write about.

“Did you win your sword fight?”
“Of course I won the fucking sword fight,” Hiro says. “I’m the greatest sword fighter in the world.”
“And you wrote the software.”
“Yeah. That, too,” Hiro says.

Someone brought up what the possible appeal to non-programmers is in Second Life. And I completely agree; what ARE the attractive to qualities to those who haven’t the foggiest how to program in Second Life? I mean, I suppose there are some slightly interesting things you can do in SL (I know someone mentioned in their post that there are concerts and museums and galleries that you can visit), but for the most part, I found myself incredibly bored. Perhaps I just don’t have that personality that finds “games” like this interesting. My brother is a big gamer and loves WOW…I’ve tried it, but just don’t find it that appealing. I certainly have no desire to play it for hours a day and days on end. Regardless, it just seems that all you can do in SL is walk around, or fly, and maybe talk to some people. Big deal. I’d much rather do that in real life, obviously minus the flying bit.

To me, what’s the appeal in Second Life, or for that matter, in Stephenon’s Metaverse, when there are people who can code and program? In Hiro’s mind, he’s the greatest sword fighter in the world. He’s the greatest in a world that he has had a hand in creating. And if you don’t have a clue as to how to alter the universe around you when others can do so by writing the software and programs, how is it even interesting? Without coding or programming knowledge, you automatically enter SL handicapped. Why would anyone be willing to do that to themselves?

No comments: