Thursday, March 6, 2008

I dont want a second life

Experiencing second life for the first time was a bit unnerving. For some reason the idea of a space that is created with no real purpose other than to loosely simulate life freaks me out a little. I felt really kind of uncomfortable when exploring the virtual world, attempting to interact with other people. I had several strange encounters which furthered my apprehension. One was when I found myself in a Disco club with dozens of people just dancing strangely in place. I clicked on a sphere that said 'boogey' and my character began to dance along with everyone else. I stayed for a few moments, thinking, trying to decide how this could be fun for anyone. I wasn't having fun. I tried several times to talk to people and the conversations were littered with pieces of other conversations that had nothing to do with me. I left shortly after that. My next encounter was with a white, faceless, torso, crucified and with a giant pitchfork through his chest. I asked him why he looked like that and he said he liked it or something, and then he started to dance while his female friend took off her clothes. I was really freaked out by this, and I ran away. I guess I just question what purpose does this program serve? I find it very hard to grasp any reason, or way that this could be used productively or even enjoyably. There is nothing attractive about second life for me personally. I guess if you are programming and making money in it, exploiting the program, then it makes sense because you are getting something out of it. It isn't a game, there is no plot, there is no narrative. Basically it is a place to just exist, and not worry about needs, just to go and fly around and interact and do whatever. If I spent any amount of time on Second Life I would feel like that time was completely wasted because I accomplished nothing. It is a separation from reality, you experience this whole other world through your rectangular computer screen. I had a dream that was more of a nightmare the night after the lab. I was stuck in Second Life and I wasn't playing it, I was actually living it and it was terrible.

No comments: