Thursday, March 6, 2008

Second Life & Halo

While playing Second Life, I found myself very frustrated for a variety of reasons. The choppiness of my movements. The graphics. The fact that I could only move straight, my actions limited by where I was looking. I'm not a big gamer by any means but I kept finding myself comparing playing Second Life with playing Halo. And I have to say, Halo is a much better experience. Better graphics, more realistic range of motion, an actual plot (i.e. Shooting aliens). I was disappointed and bored while playing Second Life. And this is from someone who didn't start playing video games till college! It makes me wonder just how much we expect from the virtual world. After all, Second Life is an extension of reality but in virtual reality. Do we expect it to be an exact copy? Realism in video games already has a huge market, considering the success of the Sims games. Maybe one day, we'll move all of our efforts into a perfectly realistic virtual world and just live there. But it really makes me wonder...why would anyone prefer a virtual world where you cannot smell, touch, or taste anything to the real world?

No comments: