Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blog Post 9 Thurs. 1pm

I am particularly interested with Yoon's article about the potential misuse of cell phones in our youth. Being an iPhone owner myself, it's easily concluded that I use it for excessive consumption throughout all facets of my everyday life. In any situation, whether I'm searching for instant accessible information, e-mail, socialization through texts or facebook, or even pure entertainment, my iPhone provides that instant gratification. My dependency on my cell phone allows me to do anything I need to without moving but also limits my physical abilities to do certain tasks myself (somewhat scares me that I instantly recognize the use of my iPhone to reach a solution for any problem).
A second issue that I faced as a constant cell phone user is the limitation and threat against my literacy and socializing abilities. Most youth relationships are founded on text messages instead of face-to-face, in real time, communication. I've noticed that text messaging in young relationships changes how the conversation would originally happen if it were in person. In doing so, it can change a young person's personality to one with less personable or socializing skills. In addition, clearly as Yoon states, text and instant messaging has created a new form of language that only a certain youth can understand. Each type of "code" changes among different societies to where only those in that 'circle' can understand it. I think this can seriously hinder a child's ability to formally and correctly communicate with elders, or even as they grow older it can limit their ability to progress into a professional.
I worry about our youth's dependency on the progressive movement of technology, specifically cell phones. An overpowering percentage of our youth have cell phones not only for communicating with the outside world but purely to establish a social life or keep up with those around them. I wonder how dependent our youth will become and how it will affect future generations in their professional careers, if at all.

No comments: