Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cell phones

I found Yoon’s article on cell phone usage by teenagers in South Korea extremely interesting. Although I agree that many times, the media hypes up news which is fairly inconsequential, I must concede that I agree with some of the issues brought up by the Korean media related to cell phone usage by high school students. I think it is undoubtedly true that cell phone usage in high school classrooms serves as a distraction. I cannot possibly imagine a situation in which students actually learn through their cell phones and download lectures. That seems to me a bit unrealistic. I also agree that cell phones can undoubtedly be misused in high schools for cyber bullying. Also, it is certainly true that having a cell phone leads to individualization, thereby taking away some of the power that familial and communal structures hold. However, it could be argued that cell phones allow parents to keep track of their children. Also, every month, the parents can choose to receive an itemized bill which would tell them exactly how their child uses his or her cell phone.
I believe that there is nothing greater than technological innovation. Even though every new invention can be used in harmful and undesirable ways, I do not think it is feasible or intelligent for governments to try and control the spread of technology and curtail usage among certain age groups. The good done by the cell phone is far greater than its evils, and the evils cannot be controlled by bans, but must be cut out by spreading awareness.

No comments: