Thursday, February 28, 2008

I was very impressed by the visual interface of Myst. I'd never played it before and was really expecting some rudimentary pixelated albeit charming thing like Oregon Trail. Although it was very visually appealing, I think that ultimately the beauty of it got in the way of it being a game. I was annoyed that it was a game, since the actual game part was much less enjoyable than the narrative exposition. It made me think about how almost all video and computer games now are 3d, as if being 3d is better, and how I'm not at all impressed or excited about it. 3d nowdays seems to be really popular, with children's animated movies having been all but replaced by the likes of Ratatouille. Yet the only games I'm ever really find comfort in are like, snake, super mario bros, simple things. I was thinking about the desire of having an interface cover up all the scary and confusing incomprehensible code underneath it. What does it mean when you have no interest in better disguising, more realistic thus less intrusive interfaces?

No comments: