Thursday, February 28, 2008

INTERACTIVITY/USING

This week has made me think a lot about the love people have towards technology. Throughout high school, when considering career options, I always assumed that during my lifetime there would be some kind of apocalypse rendering all technology useless, therefore making my skill set to be a necessity amongst the tribes of future (such as a doctor, and an engineer), and this often downplayed my desire to work with computers and multimedia. As bizarre as I may sound right now, this was a legitimate fear of mine.

But now I'm beginning to think that there is no possible way humans could ever go back to a time without technology. Our desire for it has become too great. Upon viewing Tron as a child, I instantly longed for the world inside the computer (as I'm sure Gibson did, seeing as Tron came out in '82 and Neuromancer '84). Games such as Myst definitely have a way of making us become enveloped in the digital world, whether we desire it or not.

And yet cyberspace can not and should not ever exist as a digital world. Using the Internet would be inefficient, and the world would be impossibly huge to contain all the data that exists on the Internet. Outside of gaming and entertainment, I don't think virtual reality could never exist as a functional tool.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we will always long for cyberspace because we can never have it, and this desire will continue our need for technology no matter what the circumstances are.

No comments: