Thursday, February 21, 2008

"never finished"

This week, I found myself intrigued by Gilles Deleuze's point that “in the societies of control one is never finished with anything”. The idea of never being finished with anything can almost seem frightening at first. I am accustomed to the idea that I am supposed to finish things and that eveything comes to some sort of end, yet here is this idea that we are never finished with anything. I tend to think of being finished with or finishing something as a positive state – finishing my work, high school, an assignment. To me, being finished with something indicated a certain level of satisfaction or accomplishment. But with never being finished with anything comes embracing change or “deformations”. Rather than a segregation into different defined parts, there is coexistence and continuous change and modulation. I think that this idea of things continuing and changing all the time, this “continuous variation”, is what appealed to me in the distinction between societies of control and disciplinary societies.

No comments: