Thursday, April 10, 2008

Convergence

I feel like there is a need for all upcoming media objects to do everything now. An iPod can't just play music anymore, it has to have video and pictures. Facebook and MySpace are competing to have more features. Phones do nearly everything possible. I just want to know where this leaves specialized products anymore. The goal for businesses is to have every function, and no one wants things anymore that don't have every single available feature.

This is ultimately what convergence is all about. Everything becoming one. But whether does that leave diversity? Won't it come to a point where no one needs cameras anymore because their phone can do a better job? Will we be able to tell the difference? Won't businesses have to produce everything in order to compete in this market? I just feel that convergence is fighting specialization, and I don't know how I feel about everything becoming one thing.

No comments: