Tuesday, April 8, 2008

globalize diasporic information environment

As a migrant myself, I was really engaged into Srinivasan and Ryati’s research towards globalize diasporic information environment. Appadurai indict that “Migrants exist in a world of in-betweenness, negotiating cultural forms and identities at the crossroads of the nation-state and global diaspras.” I always feel the strong connection with my homeland even though I have lived in the State for the past 5 years. Due to all kinds of information/communication tools such as internet, telephone, television…etc, I was able to update every piece of information from my homeland instantly. And Because I am not physically present at my homeland, I would be more incline to check on the news from my homeland as well as making more effort to keep contact with people there. Sometimes, I would feel this discrepancy between the information I receive over seas and the local environment/people I live and contact with. This disconnection appears to be a characteristic of Appadurai’s world of in-betweenness. Questions such as “how can a new media system impact local educational and cultural goals within a diasporic immigrant community” should be recognized and emphasized on. Apart from my own experience, research shown increased online social communication is related to stronger social ties within a local community: “contrary to predictions that computer-mediated communication would be most beneficial in increasing contact with distant social ties, wired residents experienced the greatest increase in social contact with those who were nearby. “ Does globalize information environment really benefit the immigrants from finding their identities or does it disengage the immigrants from its local environment.

No comments: