Friday, March 19, 2010

The Cave - Friday, 11am Section

Today’s visit to the cave was very surprising. It immediately brought to mind quite a few of themes that we’ve been discussing in class. It particularly made me think about navigable space and interfaces. In my opinion, the technology that makes the cave possible could one day be a standard part of the human-computer interface. Text, for example, has always been limited to a 2D space. Even now, I’m hyper-aware of how the text I’m writing is being displayed on my 2D screen as opposed to how it was shown in the cave. What I’m imagining is fully realized in the movie “Gamer” where one of the main characters, Simon, interacts with his computer through his motion. Similarly to the cave, the screen completely surrounds him and becomes whatever space he chooses. To get a better idea of what I mean, I’m providing two links at the bottom of this post that give a quick glimpse of what I’m referring to.

A space like the one in the movie and the cave would revolutionize how we interface with computers. Tools like keyboards, mice, and monitors would look crude and rudimentary by comparison. In books, text creates a space in our minds. On modern computers, text creates a 2D visual space on our screens. In the cave, text creates a 3D space that we can walk through, walk around, or walk into. In the program “Glitch” that I viewed in the cave, I walked through a corridor where the walls were made of text and was repeatedly presented with the question, “Do you know where you are?” I kept thinking to myself, “I do actually; I’m experiencing the next frontier in navigable space.” The potential for how it could shape human-computer interaction and consequently, human-human interaction is mind-boggling and exciting.

Clip one
Clip two

No comments: