Thursday, March 25, 2010

Friday 11am Section- Immemory

I was not terribly intrigued by the majority of the content of Chris Marker's "Immemory." In fact, I took very little interest in the sections of his digital memoir that I read until I reached the french poetry. I speak about as much French as the average American (that is, almost none), but I couldn't help but notice Marker's introduction to the text. He raised the question of why he wouldn't just tell readers/explorers to not bother with this section if they didn't speak French, much the same way as he warned explorers in the cinema section if they lacked prior knowledge of Vertigo. I reread to make sure I had the context right, and when I realized that Marker was probably talking about Hitchcock's Vertigo, my interest was piqued.
I left the poetry section almost immediately (under the assumption that there was little material of interest to me) and began searching for Vertigo. Unsurprisingly, It was under the cinema section and could be accessed by clicking a still from the opening sequence of the movie. What I read was interesting commentary about Hitchcock's obsession with dopplegangers, Scottie's romantic quest to fight time and death, and some information about the Vertigo tour of San Francisco.
While the information was fascinating, what I realized along the way was much more important. I began to appreciate Marker's memoir as a navigable digitization of memories. I became entertained by dissecting his brain, going through the places he had been and the sights he had seen. Once I realized the level of immersion and freedom I was given in exploring Marker's past, my level of understanding and enjoyment rose significantly.

No comments: