Friday, March 19, 2010

Cave Visit

My visit to the cave consisted of three parts. First, I was eager to see what it was all about. Our visit to the cave had been present in my mind for the better part of a week, and I could not wait to experience the navigable space; to immerse myself in the digital world.

Upon entering I was fascinated by all of the equipment, technology, and finally got to experience the cave for myself. I was enthralled by its design, and I was more and more anxious with each new program. The Glitch program was easily the highlight of my visit. Not only did it have me fixated on each new word or phase that was popping up on a random wall, but more importantly it made me feel vulnerable. I was at the mercy of the program. It was giving me directions: 'look here,' asking me the same question over and over: 'do you know where you are?' Obviously I didn't respond out loud with a tentative 'no,' but instead I felt like my brain was fumbling over the correct response inside of my own mind. This was what I got most out of my visit to the cave; that I wasn't free in the endless realm of navigable space, but instead felt confined, almost to the point of sickness.

I was then left to think and reflect on my visit. I was still fresh with that feeling of uneasiness during my first few steps out the door, but as I settled down I began to realize the consequences of what I had just experienced. I was genuinely fascinated by what the cave had to offer, and spent much of the day trying to untangle the web it had tied inside my mind. I still don't feel like I have it completely figured out, but I will say this: it felt like a game-changing experience for me. Truly Amazing.

No comments: